Artibus Innovation


  • 1.About Artibus
  • How can I contact you?

    If you need to contact us then drop us an email anytime at or phone 03 6218 2841. For input on specific items relating to training packages we would prefer you used the forum function on the website. If you would like to be added to our mailing list, send us a message via the contact page of the website. Please include any specific areas of interest or expertise, and whether you represent a particular organisation.

    If you would like to subscribe to our newsletters please use the form on the contact page.

  • How do I subscribe to your newsletters?

    Simply go to the contact page enter your email, name and organisation into the subscription form.

    You will receive an email to activate your subscription.

  • How are you different to an ISC?

    Skills Service Organisations are part of the Government's VET reform.  Our role is purely and simply to service our allocated Industry Reference Committees.  We work for them on training package issues - nothing more, nothing less.  We were chosen for the role through a competitive tender process based on our long and well regarded work in this area.

  • What are you working on at the moment?

    Currently we are submitting two Business Cases for Real Estate and High Risk Work Licence transition work. In addition, we have also submitted a Case for Endorsement for Certificate III and IV in Demolition which proposes the upgrading of 15 Units of Competency to the 2012 Standards for Training Packages.

  • 2.Industry Reference Committees (IRCs)
  • How often do the IRCs meet? When is the next meeting?

    The IRCs will meet quarterly. In 2016, meetings will be held in April, July and November. The property IRC meeting is scheduled for the 3rd November 2016 and construction on the 3rd November 2016.

  • How can I provide input and suggestions to the IRCs?

    The best way to provide input is through us at Artibus Innovation. For input on specific items relating to the training packages we would prefer if you used the forum (feedback) function on the website. You can also contact us via email at or phone 03 6218 2841. We will raise stakeholder input at the IRC meetings for discussion.

  • Will the Construction IRC be undertaking a review of the CPC08 training package?

    At this stage the IRC has no plans for a complete replacement of this training package but will be gradually transitioning content to the 2012 Standards (subject to approval by the AISC). The IRC preference is to transition whole qualifications when demand for change has been substantiated.

  • Are the training packages being updated to the 2012 Standards?

    Both the construction and property services IRCs have recently proposed that all qualifications in the CPC and CPP training packages be updated to the 2012 Standards as a priority for the next year. This proposal is subject to approval by the AISC. If and when the one-year plan is approved, we will communicate this via our website and newsletter.

  • I would like to enrol in a qualification in the construction or property services training package. Which RTOs deliver these qualifications?

    This information can be found at Enter the code or title of the qualification or unit that you would like to do in the 'quick search' box on the right hand side of the webpage. In the 'summary' box at the top of the page, click on the link 'find RTOs approved to deliver this qualification'. You can then contact the RTOs directly to enquire about the course of interest. You can also find this information on Myskills. Search for the qualification you are interested in, then select the tab on the qualification page titled 'training providers'.

  • What does it mean on when the release date is 'current' but the usage recommendation is 'superseded'?

    This occurs when a qualification has been replaced by a newer version or deleted from the National Register, but people are still enrolled in the previous product. When a qualification is superseded by a new qualification, RTOs generally have 12 months to ensure all training and assessment is completed, or the learner is transferred to the replacement course. Where a course is removed, training and assessment must be completed within a period of two years and new students cannot commence training within this period.

    More information can be found on the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) website, or in the Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015 under clause 1.26.

  • 4.RTOs
  • What are the requirements for Assessors delivering the Construction, Plumbing and Services Training Packages?

    ARTIBUS acknowledges the work that the CPSISC undertook with the Australian Institute of Building (incorporated by Royal Charter) to provide more detailed advice than included in the CPC08 Construction, Plumbing and Services Training Package and CPC Construction, Plumbing and Services Training Package to ensure compliance of Assessors with the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) 2015, specifically:

    - formal recognition of competency at least to the level being assessed;

    - relevant industry experience, that is, workplace experience within the last two years in the competency area being delivered, and 

    - relevant occupational registration or licensing in areas where this is a regulatory requirement to practice in the jurisdiction where the qualification is being assessed. 

    All of the above must be complied with. 

    Each is discussed further under their appropriate FAQ. See attached document for more information. 

  • What are the requirements for Assessors of CPC Building Surveying Qualifications?

    ARTIBUS acknowledges the work that the CPSISC undertook with the Australian Institute of Building (incorporated by Royal Charter) to provide this information:

    This covers the Advanced Diploma, Graduate Diploma and Skills Set.

    This new suite of Building Surveying qualifications and units of competency have been endorsed in a new Training Package, CPC Construction, Plumbing and Services Training Package.  This Training Package complies with the Standards for Training Packages.  

    Instead of the Assessor Requirements as described in CPC08 which apply across sectors or in some case the whole Training Package the units of competency include very specific Assessment Requirements and also include the information on assessor requirements.  

    Refer to the unit CPCCBS6002 Research and evaluate construction methods and materials for commercial buildings to three storeys. The Assessment Requirements for this unit require very detailed knowledge and application of BCA for Classes 2 to 9. The Assessor Requirements for this unit and the other new Building Survey units state: 

    Assessor requirements

    Assessors MUST satisfy the assessor requirements in the Standards for Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) current at the time of assessment.

    In addition, assessors MUST also demonstrate current membership of a relevant industry association and have registration on the National Building Professionals Register in the Building Industry Control category (level 1) OR be accredited under the Australian Institute of Building Surveyors (AIBS) National Accreditation Scheme at Building Surveyor level.’

    See the attached document for more information.

  • How can I teach superseded and non equivalent units that are mapped to current qualifications?

    The RTO will need to find a strategy to cover the gap between the current and superseded unit.
    If the new unit covers more, then they simply need a mapping document to show the auditors to give credit for the old unit.
    If the new unit contains less, then a gap strategy needs to be applied.

  • 5.Licensing and Regulations
  • The occupation I am training for requires a license. How can I ensure that the course I am undertaking will enable me to obtain the license?

    The best way is to contact the regulator or licensing body directly and ask them if the course you are undertaking will enable you to obtain a license. The appropriate licensing agency is often listed in the qualification description. Use to search for the qualification and review the licensing/regulatory information section. This information can also be found in the Implementation Guide.

  • 6.Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
  • What is Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and how does this differ from providing credit for prior studies?

    Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is simply a form of assessment of a learner's competence. RPL uses evidence from formal, non-formal and informal learning rather than specific assessment directed by the RTO. This evidence is often combined with assessment activities. Under the Standards for Registered Training Organisations 2015, RTOs must offer RPL to individual learners, unless the requirements of the training package or licensing requirements prevent this (see clause 1.12).

    RTOs must also accept and provide credit to learners of units of competency and/or modules where they are evidenced by certification documentation or VET transcripts (see clause 3.5). This is because learners must not be required to repeat any unit or module in which they have already been assessed as competent unless a regulatory requirement requires this. This differs from RPL, which is a form of assessment of the competence of a person, whereas credit provision is recognising the equivalence of studies previously undertaken and completed successfully.

    For more information, see the Users' Guide to the Standards for RTOs produced by ASQA.

  • Can you provide more guidance on RPL Procedures?

    ARTIBUS acknowledges the work that the CPSISC undertook with the Australian Institute of Building (incorporated by Royal Charter) to provide this information:

    Recogntion of Prior Learning (RPL) Procedures

    Each RPL application requires for each Unit:

    Specific statements as to how your experience or previous qualifications address each and all of the Elements (and Performance Criteria) of learning for any given Unit.

    A RPL successful RPL submission for any given unit can be based on any mixture of previous qualifications and experience. 

    It should also be noted that:

     If relying on previous results from non-building courses (e.g. architecture and engineering) students will need to provide the RTO the course outline of the relevant subjects. 

    If relying on previous results (regardless of course) students need to provide an original certified copy (NOT merely a photocopy) certified by a Justice of the Peace or by the institution from which you graduated.

     If basing the RPL application on work experience, it needs to be in paid full time employmentbut you must provide physical evidence of the same, which in turn must be accompanied by an original written testimony by a holder of the relevant occupational licence (and in those jurisdictions which this does not exist, the relevant professional accreditationin the case of building this means:

    - Chartered (registered on the National Building Professionals Register [NBPR]) and/or Licensed (by the appropriate State regulator at the appropriate level) Builders;

    - Quantity Surveyors accredited by the AIQS and/or registered on the National Building Professionals Register (NBPR);

    - Licensed or statutorily accredited Building Surveyors ([by the appropriate State regulator at the appropriate level] not merely Council employees) or registered on the National Building Professionals  Register(NBPR); Quoting their license or accreditation number (engineers [because they are not regulated by statute in three States and the 2 Territories]) and architects (because many use this title even  though they may not be registered with the various State and Territory Architect Registration

    Boards are only accepted if they are one of the above) that the work cited:

    - Was actually the student's; with

    - A clear statement of what the student actually did (in reference to specific elements of learning); and

    - Where and when it was actually carried out; and

    - That they specifically agree with the claims you have made and the examples you have cited.

    You can NOT be granted RPL for any Unit based on previous studies (even if successful) at a lower AQF (Australian Qualification Framework) level – e.g. trade study does NOT result in RPL from Certificate IV, Diploma or Advanced Diploma studies etc.

    You can NOT be granted RPL for satisfactorily addressing say 5 out of 6 Elements of Learning (or how many there are for any given Unit)  will NOT result in RPL for that Unit.

    However, and RTO may conduct assessments - either on site, or on a simulated site – for those Elements of Learning that the student applying for RPL did not adequately address.

    See attached document for more information.

    For more information on the Standards for RTOs relevant to RPL, see Standard 1.8 and Standard 3.5.