Case for endorsement – Security Operations
Project Contact: Jeremy Rose | firstname.lastname@example.org
In April 2017, the Australian Industry & Skills Committee (AISC) approved a case for change proposed by the Property Services Industry Reference Committee (IRC) to review the Security Operations Certificate I, II and III qualifications.
An activity order for this project was issued by the Department of Education and Training to Artibus Innovation to undertake the review on behalf of the Property IRC. The project scope included a full review and update of the security operations qualifications and included native units.
A technical advisory group (TAG), chaired by John Fleming from ASIAL, has been established by the IRC to oversee the project and provide technical input. The TAG includes representatives from employers, industry, RTOs and regulators.
The project has focused on occupational analysis as a basis for rebuilding the qualification and unit structure to align with current and emerging work practices and to support a more consistent regulatory approach. The TAG has recommended the deletion of the Certificate I.
The TAG has also undertaken a full redevelopment of the Certificate II as a licensing qualification, a redevelopment to the Certificate III to provide a professional development pathway and to house higher skill licensing endorsements (fire arms, batons & cuffs, canine, control room and cash in transit). An addition Certificate III has also be developed for Close Personal Protection.
Industry consultation has included meetings with key regulators (individually and through the Security Industry Regulators Forum (SIRF), presentations at industry briefings organised by ASIAL and direct consultation with key stakeholders.
The first draft qualifications, skill sets and units are available for public consultation at Artibus.com.au with feedback closing 24th November 2017.
Feedback can be provided at a qualification and unit level, survey forms are located here (click the survey title):
Feedback from the draft pack consultation will be incorporated into a second draft which will again be made available for review and input prior to the development of the final pack for submission to the IRC for approval.
A final case for endorsement will be submitted to the Department of Education and Training early in the new year for endorsement by the COAG skills committee.
Draft qualifications and units are available for feedback
- Three qualifications
- Cert II Security Operations (Security Officer)
- Cert III Security Operations (Security Officer)
- Cert III Security Operations (Close Personal Protection)
- Skill Sets to support additional licence classes/endorsements
- fire arms
- batons and cuffs
- cash in transit
- control room
- monitoring room (occupational outcome only, no licensing requirements)
- This approach will see a streamlining of the training requirement and an opportunity for regulators to simplify licensing requirements and reduce red tape while supporting a clear pathway for new entrants into the industry.
- A focus on appropriate communication and foundation skills will also address literacy concerns identified in many reviews of security training by clearly setting expectations.
- A Certificate III qualification will support career development and the desire of the industry to be more professionally oriented.
|Technical Advisory Group – List of Members
Draft Qualifications: [Last Updated: 30/10/2017]
|CPP2xx18||Certificate II in Security Operations|
|CPP3xx18||Certificate III in Close Protection Operations|
|CPP3xx18||Certificate III in Security Operations|
Draft Skill Sets: [Last Updated: 30/10/2017]
|CPPSS00XXX||Control Room Operations Endorsement|
|CPPSS00XXX||Monitoring Centre Operations|
Draft Units: [Last Updated: 24/10/2017]
|TGA Release Number|
|CPP Version 7.0|
|Project Documents||Date Uploaded||Download|
|Case for Change||02/02/2017|
|Draft components (zip file)||24/10/2017|