Project: Building Design
The Australian Industry Skills Committee approved the following qualifications at its meeting on February 25th:
- Certificate IV in Residential Drafting
- Diploma of Building Design
- Advanced Diploma of Building Design
- Graduate Diploma of Building Design.
Approval of the Diploma of Building Design is conditional on the approval of core unit CPCCBC4015 Prepare specifications for all construction works, which will be assessed as part of the Construciton IRC's Building and Construction project.
In summary the key changes are:
- The introduction of an Advanced Diploma of Building Design. This new qualification was developed to improve articulation and occupational progression between the Diploma and the Graduate Diploma of Building Design.
- Qualifications are structured to relate to increasingly complex building design projects.
- Entry requirements have been introduced for the Diploma, Advanced Diploma and Graduate Diploma of Building Design to provide employers with greater confidence that building design graduates have the necessary knowledge and skills to work in the industry.
- The range of elective units has been reduced and more targeted to work practices in building design to provide employers with confidence that graduates have the necessary knowledge and skills to work in the industry.
- Units have been reviewed and updated to better reflect current industry skills, knowledge and work practices and align with the building classifications and construction types and compliance requirements set out in the NCC. In total there are 33 building design units:
- twenty-four units were updated
- nine new units were developed, and
- eight units were recommended for removal.
- The CPP80113 Graduate Certificate in Building Design recommended for removal. The qualification has had zero enrolments for a sustained period and no registered training organisation has it on scope. The units are retained in the Graduate Diploma of Building Design.
Thankyou to everyone who has provided input into this project.
What happens next
Although this qualification is within the CPP Training Package it is affected by the delay in implementation of CPC Release 5 as it calls on an as yet unendorsed unit of competency. The Construction Industry Reference Committee (IRC) will be working with stakeholders to resolve the matters raised by the Australian Industry Skills Committee in order to action implementation of Release 5 of the CPC Training Package as soon as possible.
Release 5 will then be forwarded to the COAG Industry and Skills Council for final endorsement. The approved components will be published on the National Register and companion volumes will be published on VETNet.
The timeframe for this resolution is presently unknown.
Project downloadsCase for Endorsement - Building Design
CPP40119 Certificate IV in Residential drafting
CPP50919 Diploma of Building design
CPP60419 Advanced Diploma of Building design
CPP80219 Graduate Diploma of Building design
Units of Competency - Building Design
Project last updated: April 2020
This project has had 2979 visitors.